Brazil’s Prosecutor-General Raquel Dodge submitted a report to the Supreme Court in favor of the federal government’s jurisdiction to have the final say on the extradition of former Italian activist Cesare Battisti. The document was drafted Monday (Mar. 12) as part of the case in which the Italian national plans to provisionally suspend the possible ruling to have him leave Brazil. A date for the trial has not yet been fixed.
Dodge believes that Battisti has no right to remain in Brazil, and that the decision previously made by former President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, allowing his stay back in 2010, may be reconsidered by the current government.
Battisti’s counsel criticized the move on Tuesday (13), and asked for access to the full text of the extradition request allegedly issued by Italy.
Battisti’s extradition was brought back to the limelight late last year, after Italian authorities said they were holding talks with Brazil to ensure the return of the Italian citizen, who was granted a residence visa following Lula’s decision.
Translated by Fabrício Ferreira
Fonte: Prosecutor-General says Temer may review Battisti’s stay in Brazil