You are here

Supreme Court justice opens inquiry on President Temer

  • 13/09/2017 18h12publicação
  • Brasílialocalização
André Richter reports from Agência Brasil

Brasília - STF retoma julgamento de novos recursos do processo do mensalão. Na foto, o ministro do STF Luís Roberto Barroso (José Cruz/Agência Brasil)

Supreme Court Justice Luís Roberto BarrosoJosé Cruz/Agência Brasill

Supreme Court Justice Luís Roberto Barroso decided to open an inquiry on President Michel Temer for alleged crimes of corruption and money laundering. In the ruling, issued Tuesday (Sep. 12), Barroso also targets former lawmaker Rodrigo Rocha Loures and two executives.

A request had been filed by Prosecutor-General Rodrigo Janot for a probe into the illicit advantages allegedly granted in exchange for the favoring of company Rodrimar S/A through the enactment of Decree 9.048/2017, also known as Ports Decree. In Janot's view, the decree “met the demands, at least partly,” made by Loures in favor of Rodrimar.

The decision also targets executives Ricardo Conrado Mesquita and Antônio Celso Grecco, also linked to the company.

In a note, Rodrimar says no advantage was ever granted by public officials in its 74 years of history. The firm adds that the decree did meet a demand of all of the country's port sector. “It must be noted that it was not a demand made by Rodrimar, but by all of the sector. The appeals, however, were not all granted in the decree, which enabled around a hundred concessions throughout the country to be regularized.”

In the evening, the presidency also released a note explaining that the decree had been debated by a work group directly involved in the technical discussions of the industry, and adds that President Michel Temer did not interfere with the deliberations, nor did he exert any political pressure on the process.

The group, the note says, was made up of over 25 people from the Transport Ministry, autonomous government agencies, and four associations from the industry, who conducted “30 meetings attended by the Office of the Attorney-General and the Controller Office of the Transport Ministry.”

The documents produced in the 90 days of work are public and another 60 companies had their concessions continued, the note goes on to report.


Translated by Fabrício Ferreira

Edited by: Fernando Fraga / Olga Bardawil