Meat tests found no health risks, minister says

Test reports unveiled by Brazil's agriculture minister provided the

Published in 28/03/2017 - 12:34 By Heloisa Cristaldo reports from Agência Brasil - Brasília

Brasília - O ministro da Agricultura, Blairo Maggi, apresenta relatório da força-tarefa sobre a Operação Carne Fraca (Fabio Pozzebom/Agência Brasil)

The reports unveiled by the minister provide the results of tests carried out on 12 of the 174 products collected so far.Fabio Rodrigues-Pozzebom/Agência Brasil

Brazil's Agriculture Minister Blairo Maggi on Monday (March 27) said test reports on products from meat packers suspended in the aftermath of the meat scandal had no evidence of health risks. The tests were carried out on products retrieved in 22 states.

“So far, none of our reports has indicated consuming these products poses any risks. All within normal standards,” Maggi said.

The reports unveiled by the minister provide the results of tests carried out on 12 of the 174 products collected so far. Tested samples were taken from three of the six meat plants suspended during the operation. According to Maggi, more reports are expected to be completed by the end of the week.

While no health risks have been found, the minister said, the tests did indicate the products contained animal feed, products past their shelf life or with ingredient mix-ups, including starch above permitted levels. “We found products with minor compliance issues—including inadequate ingredient amounts, chicken being used instead of turkey, and so on. Nothing dangerous, you don't need to worry,” the minister said.


Translated by Mayra Borges


Fonte: Meat tests found no health risks, minister says

Edition: Luana Lourenço / José Romildo

Latest news